Located at 6600 Kenneth Avenue. Mary and Claude Capra established Capra Park as a horse ranch in the early 1940’s. It was a frequent vacation spot for their relative, famous movie maker Frank Capra. Throughout the years they lived in harmony with the land and enjoyed the serenity of country living. They cared for horses as well as most any other critter that chose to happen by.
When Claude’s health failed, Mary tirelessly cared for him, the property and the animals. Later they decided their land should always be a place where people could stop for a moment to refresh and recreate. That desire lead Claude and Mary to sell the property to the Carmichael Recreation and Park District and to make it accessible to the public.
In 2008, the District completed a Master Plan for the 6.7 acre park. The design includes low-intensity public use for the site that would retain its natural amenities and allow for a small working farm. The farm could feature farm animals and equipment and a demonstration garden featuring crops grown in the region. It also would include a covered area with an interpretive exhibit and the potential to host educational programs.
The District plans to work with residents to help make the park a reality. View the Capra Park master plan for more information.
Currently the site is home to a caretaker who boards horses and maintains the daily operations of the property. The property will remain leased until such time the District has funding to install facilities that would make it useable as a public park.
If you have any questions please call the Carmichael Recreation and Park District at (916) 485-5322.